Saturday, August 13, 2011

Third: The Noisy Cricket





We all have one... a gun that doesn't cost much, that you don't expect much from, and aren't real sure why you bought it to begin with.

I picked up my Bersa Thunder 380 in 2005. This was back before they gained any real popularity as a viable carry gun, back when the price was about $200. Not being the type to buy a lot of guns in the same caliber, I chose an inexpensive 380 as my carry gun, with the explanation that I didn't want to carry - and beat up - a more expensive gun. And even if it wasn't accurate, I'd still be able to defend myself at close range. I didn't expect much from it in performance or strength, but figured it was enough.

This was yet another caliber I wasn't familiar with, and was really only beginning my full ahead thrust into learning about guns and really studying them. I was no longer working for the armored car companies, and was now working as a cashier in a gun store, the same one I'd come to weekend after weekend with the Ruger in the little red tool box, with the hopes of gaining enough knowledge to become a sales person - where the learning really begins. I had a brand new concealed carry license, and nothing small enough to carry. My Sig had a shoulder holster, but that was proving to be a daunting gun to carry. And the 686 wouldn't conceal on the best of days!

So I showed up to work one day with my new little Bersa in my purse. Out to the range I went on my lunch break... only to have my heart shatter. Even if you aren't expecting much from a gun, it hurts when it fails.

The Bersa survived a good 30 rounds before it just quit firing completely. My co-workers and I spent the rest of the day trying to figure out what had happened to my new paper weight. One of them finally told me to let him take it to his gunsmith for a look.

A week later, I got it back and went onto the range once again.

What I now had was a $200 piece of pure magic. The only thing I am 100% sure was done to the gun was that the magazine disconnect safety was disconnected. According to the gunsmith, it had malfunctioned. A free fix was just to have him cut it off without actually removing it. So my gun was now able to fire a round with the magazine out, but that wasn't something that bothered me. After all, my Sig could do that, too, by nature (all my semi-autos now are devoid of magazine disconnect safeties).

The tiny gun had a little more recoil than I had been lead to believe, although it still wasn't much. It was, by far, the smallest caliber gun I had shot to date (it would be another year or so before I shot my first 22LR), and the smallest framed gun I owned. So I began calling it "The Noisy Cricket" after the surprising little gun in "Men in Black."





Now, I still wouldn't shoot a pistol match with this little gun, and truth be told... I still have it, but I haven't shot it in years. It proved to be a poor carry gun unless strapped onto the ankle. The tail tends to stab you right under the ribs when you sit down if you carry it IWB. And I'd lost the rear sight during a road trip with it strapped to my ankle. Since then, it has also been painted by a formed co-worker to deem it the world's ugliest pistol.


But for some reason, I haven't been able to bring myself to sell the Noisy Cricket off. I don't know if it's the low price I'd get considering the ugly paint job or the fond memories I have of the little gun, but it's still around.

Maybe I'll take it to the range with me next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment