Tuesday, September 20, 2011

7th and 8th - Ruger 10/22 and Springfield Armory 1911 MilSpec

I'm making this a two fer post because there really wasn't a story to go along with the Ruger 10/22. I always wanted one, it took me long enough to decide on one, and I got it. I settled on one with the red laminate stock.


This was one of those "why did I bother?" purchases. I love the rifle, and do believe there isn't a 22 LR out there today that can out shoot a 10/22. But I was apparently not made to shoot a 22LR. I put 30 rounds down the barrel, took it home, put it in a silicon sock, and then forgot about it for a few years. Only a few weeks ago I took it out of that sock and decided to go shoot it again. I managed 100 rounds this time before I caught myself yawning. 22LR is a great round. You can shoot all day long and not go broke on ammo. And it is a fantastic round to teach a new shooter on. But I learned on a 38 spl and my first rifle was a large caliber... having something this small - and that accurate - was pretty boring. I put 100 rounds down range that day and could fit the group into a shot glass. I was beyond impressed. And I love a rifle that is great for marksmanship (and I have a few). But it got boring real fast. LOL! Just me, I guess.

So the purchase after this Ruger was a Springfield Armory 1911 MilSpec. Another gun I had always wanted.


Anyone who ever had the urge to buy a 1911 can tell you... they can be had from anywhere between $350 to $5000. Your standard reproduction of the Colt 1911 issued to the military is usually on the cheaper side, mostly because it doesn't come with all the bells and whistles. And being a fan of the old military stuff and style, that was all I really wanted. But I wanted a good one, too. I wanted this Springfield.

At the time, the store I worked for ran their own firing range in the back. It was indoor, 50 yards, and took everything under 50 BMG. But somewhere along the line the firing range got to be too much for the shop to hang on to (contrary to popular belief, firing ranges are not the billionaire makers people think they are. The care and insurance of a good range - even with a large amount of users like this one had - is enough to bankrupt the store. You'll notice many ranges have stores attached... the store keeps the range going). So the inevitable happened... the range was closed down for good.

Well, they had a ton of rental weapons back there, all needing good homes. Sold as used, these guns were cleared out fast and hard at sweet prices. One benefit to working at a gun store is you see what goes up for sale before anyone else... and we shop, too.

Among the pile of guns going out to the floor was this Springfield Armory 1911 MilSpec, just as pictured above with the wrap around grip. I wasn't fond of the grip, but 1911s are very popular so your grip choices are endless.

It wasn't pretty. It had spent two years as a rental gun, being tortured by everyone who rented it, and it was a very popular weapon. Rental shooters don't treat the guns well, it's the "I don't have to worry about, it isn't mine" factor. So it was dropped, kicked, thrown, beaten into walls, etc. When I got it, it was an ugly gun.

And it still is! Other than the grips, I haven't changed a thing. It works great for startle factor. The gun is so ugly that when it comes out at the range or at matches, people chuckle a little and look away. But that is one tough gun to beat. Even with the original barrel it had as a rental, the gun performs flawlessly at matches and hits right where it is aimed, every time.

One day I went out to the mailbox and found a package from a friend I had met via a gun forum. He was several states away, but we shared the joy of new purchases with each other via the forum itself. I opened the package and found a note that simply said, "Lose the Goodyears." With the note was a set of maple wood grips.


That began the downfall. LOL! I'm the type of person who changes the look of everything a million times. A few months after getting these grips, the gun ended up looking like this instead:


You don't hand a highly customizable weapon to a girl who enjoys accessorizing but isn't girlie enough to buy jewelery!

This gun quickly became my go to girl. Fast and accurate without ever giving me so much as a hiccup, I realize the time is coming for a new barrel. Lord only know how many rounds are down that thing, and she's finally starting to show her aches and pains. Our last range day was a bit of a struggle. But she'll get the very best, of course. This also began my love affair with Springfields. I can't say enough good about the guns or the company itself. The XD isn't my cup of tea, but this was the first of two Springfield pistols I brought home. Both are beyond stellar weapons, and Springfield stepped up on both of them, continuing the lifetime warranty of the 1911 even with it's less than stellar history.

No comments:

Post a Comment